CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Belt drive for router table

Posted by aerowright
on 2003-07-23 21:52:03 UTC
Roger,

I asked a similar question back in Feb. See message 57878 and ensuing
with an open ended belt you can still drive both sides with a single
motor. You just need to do some alternate thinking, like put the
shaft below the work surface at the bottom of the gantry for instance.

Regards,
Mike

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "vrsculptor" <vrsculptor@h...>
wrote:
> If you were going to cog belt drive the long axis on a 6 X 10 wood
> router would you:
> 1) Use the cog belt like a rack and a pulley as a pinion -or-
> 2) Use a looped belt driven from one end, joined at the gantry and
> looped over an idler at the far end.
>
> I like 2 as it is easy to drive both sides of the router with a
> single power source with a jack shaft but am afraid that the belt may
> start to whip. May not be an issue as Gates specs their belts for
> kilo tons...
>
> Opinions, experience, flames?
>
> Roger S

Discussion Thread

vrsculptor 2003-07-22 16:46:41 UTC Belt drive for router table Les Newell 2003-07-23 00:47:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Belt drive for router table aerowright 2003-07-23 21:52:03 UTC Re: Belt drive for router table