CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MIM (metal injection molding)

Elliot Burke wrote:

> From: "Elliot Burke" <elliot@...>
>
> Has anyone heard of this?
> It was described to me as plastic coated metal particles, which are
> injection molded. The result is considered a green part, which is fired to
> make a solid metal part. The metal used include titanium and other hard
> stuff.

Yes, this is one type of powder mettalurgy.

> There is large shrinkage and warping on firing, but software predicts this
> so the mold is made prewarped so it finishes up in the desired shape.
>
> If it could be made to come out of an inkjet type nozzle, what fun we could
> have!

Yes, something close to that has been done. There are at least a couple of
rapid prototyping processes that result in a metal part.

lawrence jackman 2000-03-18 22:27:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MIM (metal injection molding) Jon Elson 2000-03-18 23:28:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MIM (metal injection molding) ptengin@a... 2000-03-19 02:05:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] MIM (metal injection molding)