CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Resonable Stepper Speed under simple Unipolar drive ?

Mark Thompson wrote:

>Hi all
>
>What is resonable expectation for stepper speed when running
>a Unipolar drive ?
>
>Specs:
> 12V supply voltage
> 4.3V @3.5 Amp motors
> Ballist resistors to control current
> Unipolar mode

Arrgh! An L/R drive! The WORST! You may get to several
hundred RPM, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that it
runs out of gas at barely over 100 RPM, especially with
only a 12 V supply.

I can get 1440 RPM out of my NEMA size 32 steppers with
Gecko 201A drives! That's driving the square-thread screws on
a minimill. I was amazed at how well they perform.
Obviously the opposite end of the spectrum from the old
L/R unipolar drive.

I am generalizing here, as you don't indicate what you are trying
to drive with these motors and drive.

Jon Elson 2003-08-14 22:27:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Resonable Stepper Speed under simple Unipolar drive ?