CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: MAXNC15CL WITH 4TH AXIS

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2003-09-01 12:48:36 UTC
Message: 11
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 00:17:10 -0000
From: "rml33yh" <rml3@...>
Subject: MAXNC15CL WITH 4TH AXIS

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new with buying a desktop NC but I've been programming
in the Aerospace field using Unigraphics, CATIA, and APT for over 20
years.
Would I be happy with an MAXNC15-CL with a 4th axis?
Or is there something I would like better, in a desktop NC any advice
would be appreciated.

Randy L.

[It depends on what you're trying to do with it, what you're looking for in
a machine, and what you expect of the company that makes it. The machine you
mention has some good things going for it. The closed-loop stepper system is
fast, and works pretty well when it works. But it's common for it to
generate erroneous servo errors, some of which are related to interference
from the brushes of the spindle motor, and some of which proceed from
unknown causes. The spindle motor is installed on dual stand-offs which
increase vibration, and these motors generally burn up after 6 months or so
of intermittant use. Speeds can be controlled by software "S" commands, but
low-speed torque isn't very high. The anti-backlash nuts are good unless you
exceed 10 lbs. of force against them, at which point their springs are
overpowered and they give back the backlash. They also tend to crumble after
a while, perhaps because MaxNC installs them with Loctite, which
deteriorates the plastic nut bodies. The machine frame itself is built
entirely from aluminum, which is coated with a decorative layer of anodizing
that doesn't appreciably increase its hardness. So there's a tendency for
the sliding surfaces to gall. I'll leave it to others to comment on MaxNC's
quality control and customer service.

If you're looking for an alternative, I'd suggest the Taig 2000LE. While it
uses an open-loop control system to run its steppers, it is generally quite
reliable at feedrates up to 20 ipm. It's more rigid than the equivalent
MaxNC, and uses precision-ground steel for most sliding contacts. The CNC
models come with adjustable bronze nuts which limit backlash to about .003".
The aluminum table is hard-anodized, which affords some protection against
damage. It also comes with a rotary 4th axis option, and costs quite a bit
less than the MaxNC 15CL. Also, Taig is known for its excellent quality
control, customer service and support. Yahoogroups has forums dedicated to
both MaxNC and Taig machines; if you wish, you can continue your research by
asking questions in these user groups.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com
(Current Taig distributor, former MaxNC dealer)

Discussion Thread

rml33yh 2003-08-31 22:37:15 UTC MAXNC15CL WITH 4TH AXIS Andrew Werby 2003-09-01 12:48:36 UTC Re: MAXNC15CL WITH 4TH AXIS