CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: servo control

Posted by alenz2002
on 2003-09-09 00:01:31 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Binoy Shenoy
<binoyshenoy@y...> wrote:
> I am talking about keeping the motor fixed in a certain position so
that it does not move. This is when it is not in motion.

Binoy, The over simplified answer is that a servo is a DC motor and
the current depends on the load. So at rest with no load, the current
is near zero. But if a torque (load) is applied to try to move it
away from it's position then it will draw whatever current is
required to resist that load. Whether it is stopped or moving makes
no difference, the same rule applies. Jon's answer explains why this
is so.
al

> Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
>
> binoyshenoy wrote:
>
> >How does a servo motor lock in place? What kind of excitation
should
> >be given by the drive?
> >

> An encoder senses position, and the drive or computer sends a
correction
> signal if the motor drifts off position. Some servo drives also use
> tachometer
> that allows the velocity to be kept constant even between encoder
updates.

> For a brush DC motor drive, there would be a voltage applied to the
motor
> to get motion in the proper direction.
>
> Jon

timg@k...
> Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
it if you have trouble.

a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/