CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 415

Posted by Armilite@a...
<<Message: 7

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 04:40:29 +0100

From: "Arne Chr. Jorgensen" <instel@...>

Subject: Other platforms

Hi,

To Rich Gillen, and others:

you wrote:

>I am an outcast here right off because I'm a MAC user and most CNC

>products seem to be for the IBM users.

Well, I am an outcast on your campus, - so the difference should not be so

large after all.

But as I understand it, there is several distributions for Macs. My question

is - could anyone sum up what these computers have ?

I understand there is several models, but my question is:

- What processors do they use

- What possible interfaces do they have

I have spent a lot of time lately to set up linux on some IBM RS6000
computers.

They run PowerPC risc 604e processors, have both ISA and PCI slots, and the

motherboard have soundcards, ethernet, SCSII, IDE, etc. already installed.
The

RTLinux system should work much better on these, than a intel based PC.

I have debugged some trouble with installing LinuxPPC, and supplied info to a

maintainer of a HOWTO for these machines. I have problems with it, because

the current distributions thinks it is a Mac, - and it is different. Linux an

XFree86 used to run on these, until they more or less made a common release

with Macs. So I have worked a lot to <try> correct things. It looks like SuSE

will come with a release.

Even if these are several years old now, - they looks like real good
machines.

Better than normal PC in many respects. It could even been fun to see if it

would be possible to port EMC to this - but I guess that would be a lot of
work.

For some strange reason, I have not been able to get much help on the
problems

with these. They had a version 2.0.36 or similar running, but I can't find

the code. ( strange )

Victor Yodaiken did some initial work on the RTLinux on these, with help

from Cort Dougan at ppc.kernel.org ( I have been told ) I don't know much

about why the current releases has broken on these machines, - been in touch

with Cort - but his answer was very short. I am not much wiser what the
status

is. ( I run linux on them, but have problem with the X server )

So, I am still doing some research on this.

I am not sure if this is any good place to post this, but on the other hand,

maybe someone could give me a very brief descriptions about my questions on

Macs, or any info on LinuxPPC.

If people dislike to say anything here, then I be happy if anyone could have

something to add. Just mail me. But a PowerPC or Mac should be able to run
at

least some steppers.

Comments ?

//ARNE

>>========================================================
Hello Arne:
I can't tell you much about your IBM RS6000 with 604e power PC processors
problems. I only know a little about the Apple side. Originally Apple, IBM,
and Motarolla collaberated to build a CHURP computer that would run 7-8
different operating systems, Apple, DOS, windows, Unix, SUN, and a few old
main frame OS software that I can't remember. Of coarse IBM sat back and let
Apple take the big plunge at coming out with a new PPC platform first. And it
was pretty successful. They ran the old software and the new PPC software. To
my knowledge IBM backed out totaly from the PPC and stayed with Intel
processors for their desktop units. The first processor was the 601, then
603, then 603e, then 604, then 604e, then the G3, and now the G4. The last I
heard, the Apple G4 was the fastest processor used in a desktop unit, the US
government even banned it from sale to none friendly countries. Motarolla
makes all of Apples PowerPC chips. Apple is at OS 9, but the new OS 10 is to
be linux based from what I'm hearing. I don't know much about it my self, I'm
still using an old 40 MHz 68040 machine running OS 8.1. I have a 80 MHz PPC
with I think a 601, that I'm fixing up. Most all the old Mac's have an RS232
port on the back, not sure about the knew ones though. I know they use USB,
and the new firwire. All come with EitherNet, and most of the newer ones have
PCI slots. Most people, even Mac users don't know they can run IBM software
on the Mac, but who would want to unless they can't find it written for the
MAC. The foppy drives mount/formatt IBM floppy disk. Apple has always had a
big PR problem. They also cost a little more. I have seven of them and have
not had any trouble with them. Each of my three daughters has their own, and
the wife has hers, I have three, 840AV, 5300ce PPC laptop, 7100/80 PPC, opps,
forgot the workgroup 80 server. Yes, they should be able to run steppers,
etc. The problem is finding who makes the boards and software. The only
software I have found is Virtual Gibbs, and AuraCad/Cam. There is proably 14+
Mac cad programs, but not much CAM software.
Rich Gillen

Discussion Thread

michcom 2000-03-21 05:03:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 415 Andrew Werby 2000-03-21 11:00:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 415 Armilite@a... 2000-03-22 03:12:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 415