CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Unknown servo motors...

Posted by Harvey White
on 2003-09-11 06:48:18 UTC
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:43:21 -0500, you wrote:

>Harvey White wrote:
>
>>OK, I have some Minertia servo motors, and the specifications seem
>>rather hard to get...
>>
>>Is there a reasonable procedure to go about to determine the motor
>>characteristics? If so, where would it be documented?
>>

>There are two numbers that can be obtained from the motor with relatively
>simple measurements. They are related, so you only need to measure
>one. If you have a mill or lathe with well-known spindle speeds, chuck
>the motor to the spindle, and run it at around 1000 RPM. Measure the
>DC voltage generated by the motor. Correct for the whatever spindle
>speed you are getting, and you have the Kv constant. this is normally
>expressed as Volts/1000 RPM. So, if you have 1200 RPM, take the
>voltage/1.2 and you have Kv. Multiply Kv * 1.351 and you have
>Kt, the torque constant, in Oz-In/Amp units. If Kt was 45 V/1000 RPM,
>then Kt must be 45 * 1.351 ~= 70 Oz-In/Amp.

Thanks. I have that information, at last, on these minertia
motors... Not that it was easy to get. I will remember this for new
(and unknown) motors.

Harvey

>The hardest numbers to get are continuous torque and peak current.
>If you exceed the continuous torque rating the motor will overheat
>and eventually break down the winding insulation. If you exceed
>the peak current, even for an instant, you can demagnetize the
>magnets, altering the Kv and Kt constants, usually much for the worse!
>
>The continuous torque ratings can usually be guessed at by comparing the
>motor to others of similar size and construction. If the motors run cool
>all the time, you probably don't have much to worry about.
>
>The peak current is often in the range of 2 - 4 X the current equivalent
>to the continuous rated torque.
>
>Jon

Discussion Thread

Harvey White 2003-09-10 14:03:06 UTC Unknown servo motors... Harvey White 2003-09-10 15:24:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Unknown servo motors... Jon Elson 2003-09-10 22:45:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Unknown servo motors... Harvey White 2003-09-11 06:48:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Unknown servo motors...