CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Other platforms

on 2000-03-23 13:26:11 UTC
Thanks Rich,

Rich Gillen wrote:
<snip>
>Originally Apple, IBM,
>and Motarolla collaberated to build a CHURP computer that would run 7-8
>different operating systems, Apple, DOS, windows, Unix, SUN, and a few old
>main frame OS software that I can't remember.

I think you mean CHRP - common hardware reference platform. There is some made
long tail boards still available, and IBM has full schematics of such a
system for download, and documents. ( here could be some interesting stuff for
anyone wanting to do anything on PCI )

>Of coarse IBM sat back and let
>Apple take the big plunge at coming out with a new PPC platform first.

hmm ? matter of opinion ? IBM more or less made the draft on some standard
that would be more or less PC compatible, and I think Apple have always
wanted to go their own way. The idea, was to make something that would run
most PCI & ISA boards. It should be an open standard.

<snip>

I appreciated the rest of your input, that is not the reason I cut it off :)
( just that you get a bit tired of all the resent info in this list from time
to time )

But what I have heard is that linux runs good on Macs, is just that my
computer is a bit different. Because they kind of made a common distribution
for Macs, RS/6000, BeBox, CHRP .. I have some trouble to navigate, as they put
most emphasis on the Macs.

You once said: " I am an outcast here right off because I'm a MAC user" - well,
with linux - there should not be any divisions between any. In fact if just
some of the CAD/CAM software mature in linux - I would think that there could
be a lot of Mac users here. It will come.

It looks like these PPC will run RTLinux much better than any intel machine, -
but that is just what I have heard.

I just look at these RS6000 I have, and they are very nice machines, with both
PCI and ISA + more. They are fast and of high quality. So, sure I would like
to see them come to some better use.

//ARNE

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr. Jorgensen 2000-03-20 20:47:00 UTC Other platforms Arne Chr. Jorgensen 2000-03-23 13:26:11 UTC Other platforms