CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Blown g201 is it the motor?

barker806 wrote:

>Jon Thank you for your help
>I have tested the motor and there is not a phase to ground short.
>
>I then tested the resistance of the coils 1.4 ohms and 1.5 ohms and a
>good motor is 1.5 ohms but I don't trust that meter in that low a
>reading.
>
>I am know taking the motor off from the machine and I will test it
>with the D cell.
>
>can you have the motor tested with a "Thump test" and mesure the time
>that it took the power to go through the coils (I have had this done
>for a transforner at work). Or can I have the inductance tested in
>the motor (I can't stand not knowing, It is the Engineer in me).

Yes, if you can find somebody with an impedance bridge, you can check
the inductance and Q of the coils. If the Q is unreadably low on one
phase, then a turn is shorted for sure.

Oh, one other test is to just turn the motor when it is off the machine.
If it seems very stiff with the wires not connected to anything or touching,
that is another indication of big problems.

barker806 2003-09-24 09:48:22 UTC Blown g201 is it the motor? Jon Elson 2003-09-24 10:36:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Blown g201 is it the motor? barker806 2003-09-24 11:38:59 UTC Re: Blown g201 is it the motor? Jon Elson 2003-09-24 21:17:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Blown g201 is it the motor?