CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Preloading ball screws

on 2003-09-27 09:55:05 UTC
Bill,

The easiest way to adjust Belvilles is by controlled
angular displacement of the stud, bolt, or nut.
The spring rates are given... I have the
MSC catalog open here and I see many that would be in range.

Perhaps studs, bolts and Belvilles could be recessed in counterbored
holes or something? Hard to know without pictures and diagrams.

If you have typical 1" or so rolled screws with a normal several thousandths
of backlash total preload for 5% max dynamic might
be in the couple hundred pound area.

I considered a variant of your torsional preload idea where
it is applied to a floating nut (not screwed into a block).
That would backdrive, but I think it could end up with
some complications as well.

I also saw Ron's post about larger balls. I use factory oversize
ball preload nuts on my stuff. I have watched HIWIN do that at
the midwest US warehouse. Lots of little trays with balls marked
+5 or -5 microns and such. And Tweezers. I'm not trying it! :^)

My understanding from them is that you need a very consistently rolled
gothic arch (4 point contact) raceway to have this work.

I know larger balls are used to REDUCE backlash often without
being a preloaded forced fit as my units are. That probably works with
any raceway geometry.

Leslie M.Watts
L M Watts Furniture
Tiger Georgia USA