CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC on HP 6730 weird parallel port noise / not working

John Johnson wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have installed BDI EMC from here:
>http://www.isw.uni-stuttgart.de/personen/t_franit/echtzeitlinux/
>download.html on my HP Pavilion 6730 (600MHz Celeron, 128MB, 60+8GB).
>It doesn't work. Specifically, if I turn on my controller (L297/L298
>drivers, stepper motors), the Y axis steps about 1/8 turn about twice a
>second. The other axes won't move. The problem doesn't seem to be EMC,
>it seems to be Linux. When I watch the data lines on the parallel port
>while booting Linux, there are all kinds of signals on the lines. Even
>when it's going through the check list at the beginning of the boot
>(where it says Starting..(whatever)..[OK]). When I boot Windows 95,
>there is no noise on the lines. Also, the parallel port (378) isn't
>reported in the control panel for Linux, but it is in Windows. How
>weird is that?! If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm
>several days into this project, and it's driving me nuts.

Right. It senses something on the parallel port and tries to identify it.
There are several drivers that you may have to tell it to leave out.
Specifically, parport, parport_pc, and lp. These are all kernel modules.
Just do : rmmod lp and such to remove them. parport will need to be
removed last, as the other two use it. If you want to leave these drivers
out, check /etc/modules or /etc/modules.conf, depending on the kernel
you are using.

John Johnson 2003-10-07 15:44:38 UTC EMC on HP 6730 weird parallel port noise / not working Jon Elson 2003-10-07 23:21:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC on HP 6730 weird parallel port noise / not working Ray Henry 2003-10-08 09:02:12 UTC Re: EMC on HP 6730 weird parallel port noise / not working