CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: small variable speed motors

on 2000-03-29 16:40:18 UTC
Your mail about poishing glass is interesting. I am quite
familar in working with glass. Many years ago I used to
hand bevel glass for artistic windows. Going through the
4 process's is a lot of fun.

Steve

----------
From: Elliot Burke <elliot@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: small variable speed motors
Date: Wednesday, March 29, 2000 7:50 AM

From: "Elliot Burke" <elliot@...>

Am polishing glass. This is done on a cast iron grinder rotating from
40-400 rpm typically for grinding, then a pitch lap in similar speed range.
Some people have CNC machines that can do this sort of thing, but for
prototype work it is mostly still done in a way familiar to amateur
telescope makers.

I think I'll use a VSR drill. After my first cheap one burns out, I'll
shop
for one with quieter gears. There is a screw inside the chuck which
probably is involved with removing the chuck, but the darn thing is too
tight to get off. With the chuck off the pulley could get closer to the
bearings, and put less moment into the output shaft. I suspect these drill
motors will have reduced life when used with pulley side loads.

Elliot Burke

Message: 4