CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Hello all... my first post..... clamping

Posted by IWIWIYRN
on 2003-10-13 11:07:33 UTC
Thanks for the fast response...

I do plan to start out with sign/engraving type work to get the
machine going. I want to look ahead at the same time and make it as
versatile as possible. Such as fitting a plasma cutter to it or
doing 3D parts in the future.

About the vaccuum clamping... I've never actually seen one in
person. Does it work good? Is it basically just a shop-vac fitted
to a perforated table surface (air hockey type board)? If so, do
you have to block off the exposed holes when the workpiece is in
place? To get enough vaccuum? What size vaccuum will do? Or at
least what do people generally use? I was hoping to so something
besides using a T-slot metal
table, due to weight. I guess I could get by with an aluminum table.

Brian

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<davemucha@j...> wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "IWIWIYRN" <btrent@c...>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been looking to build one of these and after much
research
> > decided to join up here. About myself..
> >
> > I'm 35 yrs old, an Industrial Electrician/Technician for TRW
> > Automotive. Married, 2 girls, 10 and 12. Live in East Tenn.
> >
> > What I am planning on doing is a 3 axis gantry type
configuration
> > mill wood, plastic, some thin metal or aluminum. I plan to use
> > Gecko drives, 30V servos, quad encoders. My two biggest
obstacles
> > foresee is:
> > 1. Which CAM program to use.
> > 2. What type of clamping/holding apparatus for the workpiece.
> > I probably won't get a CAD program at the moment but probably
will
> > in the future. I have some experience in industrial CNC (i.e.
> > Fanuc, Allen Bradley, Mazak, ect) so I will probably write the G-
> > codes manually and run them through a simulator program.
> > DeskCNC seems suitable for my application. Haven't read too
many
> > complaints on here about it.
> > Any suggestions on the clamping design would be helpful also.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Brian Trent
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Dave here, South Jersey, 2 girls.7&9, 3 CNC's
>
> I have one machine that clamps a parts then does the work.
unclamps,
> moves table then clamps again.
>
> For a router, it would be something like clamping the sheet metal,
> move the table to zero, then turn on the vaccume to clamp the part
or
> use side clamps on the boards.
>
> The only thing is that you need consistant stock sizes.
>
> for multiple parts, you can use one large stock and do the cookie
> cutter thing, make a small fixture and put in single parts.
>
> As far as software, I can't offer much other than to ask what type
of
> work you want to do ? Sign making software would be much
different
> becasue you do letters and fonts, than say a PCB where you etch
the
> outline of the traces and different than say for a turbine blade
> where 5 axis of motion might be used. You could use one software
> for each type, but there are some that are tailored to specifc
uses.

> Dave

Discussion Thread

IWIWIYRN 2003-10-13 07:55:47 UTC Hello all... my first post..... turbulatordude 2003-10-13 09:02:24 UTC Re: Hello all... my first post..... clamping IWIWIYRN 2003-10-13 11:07:33 UTC Re: Hello all... my first post..... clamping