CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RF-45 Automatic Tool Changer

Posted by jmorrphd2
on 2003-10-19 04:28:14 UTC
Jason:
I think that getting into the machine tool business right now
is a risky proposition. As one who is snooping around the Mini-mill
market these days, I think that a start-up company should also
consider the used machine tool market as potential competition.
Most companies with capital want to buy from reputable vendors with
names they can count on. If a company cannot afford a new machine,
they will most likely not go with an unknown company to save
"a few thousand bucks." They will buy used equipment that is
still relatively new, something that has only a few hundred
or thousand hours on the spindle. There are enough old Haas and
Fadal machining centers that are on the used market, that I would
consider that as your potential competition.
You are going to make a tool changer for your new mill? I would
just get one of those "off the shelf" items from Taiwan and see
if it is covered by any patents. If not, then just copy it and
manufacture it yourself and see if yours is better.
Another thing, I would choose the HSK system of tool holders
for my new mill. You can get into the European market with that
and it's newer techology. Plus, you have more choices of sizes
with the HSK system. It's also better at higher rpm's (above
8000) and more rigid.
I would not aim for the hobbyist market. There's no money
there. Too many hobbyists are happy using junk from China
as machine tools or they complain about a $30 tool end mill holder
as being too expensive even though standard tool holders for
commercial mills can be over $100.
If you find a source of HSK spindles for the HSK 25 or HSK 32
tool holders, I would be interested in the source, price and
spec's etc.
Let me know what you come up with and how it's going. Later,
Jim

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Cox" <sinergy@o...>
wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am writing to the list as I thought this may interest a few
people.

> For a bit of back ground, I am from Australia and after making a
few CNC routers decided to retrofit a RF-45 mill drill. I learnt a
lot and since then have collaborated with some others here in
Australia to start in manufacturing commercial vertical machining
centers. Our first model will be very similar to the well known Haas
Mini Mill, due to our poor currency having an Australian made
machine allows us to make a higher quality machine and still
undercut the Haas machine by thousands.

> One of the biggest roles I will be playing is in the development
of our Auto tool changer and spindle unit. Beleive it or not all of
these items are available "off the shelf" from taiwan, however as we
would like to have complete control of our product in terms of
quality we have decided to make our own... okay Ill stop rambling
and get to the point.

> I have to make a "proof of concept" of the tool changer and
spindle. To keep initial size and cost low I have desided to produce
a working unit to fit my existing rf-45 mill drill. This will
include a BT40 compatible spindle housed in a new head casting. The
new head unit will mount directly onto the existing z-axis slide of
an rf-45. The 12 tool carasel will mount off the left side of the
column. I can expect around 4second chip to chip times. The carasel
will be operated pneumatically as will the tool unclamp unit.

> I thought it be a shame to have to make patterns for only one
unit, so if there are any on the list who are interested I am happy
to provide the units at cost, you pay shipping etc.

> The head unit will require a VFD controlled motor as spindle is
driven at a fixed ratio via a gates 8YU timing belt. The spindle
will run happily air cooled at 8000rpm. This setup will require
around 4CFM at 100psi air (for air cooling, tool unclamping and
carasel in feed).

> Anyone who is interested please contact me off list, anyone with
any suggestions please post.

> I am not here trying to rally a minimum number so I can justify
cost or anything like that, Just thought you might be interested.
This is still some way off, after I complete the first (and iron out
any issues) unit I will post again with final price etc.

> One of the biggest pains with home CNC is tool changing!
>

> Regards,
>
> Jason Cox.

Discussion Thread

Jason Cox 2003-09-05 23:12:28 UTC RF-45 Automatic Tool Changer jmorrphd2 2003-10-19 04:28:14 UTC Re: RF-45 Automatic Tool Changer