CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Home built controller vs. bought controller

Posted by caudlet
on 2003-10-26 07:35:42 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "junkmail7892003"
<junkmail789@c...> wrote:
> I'm looking into controllers and was wondering:
>
> 1. If you built your own, where did you get the source
documentation
> (ie, schematics)?
>
> 2. If you bought yours, where did you buy it from?
>
> 3. Things you wish you knew then that you know now about
controllers.

> Thanks,
>
> Matt S.

In the hobby CNC world the "controller" is usually PC based. It runs
special Controller Software (TurboCNC, DeskCNC, MACH2, etc) and that
turns the parallel port into a step and direction output. The motors
need high power pulses (or directional DC in the case of servos) and
once again the hobby market has spawned a new generation of Motor
Control modules from GECKO, RUTEX and Xylotex (sp?). There are
issues with lathe CNC that are different than Mill or shape cutting
machines like plasma. Some of the others that have converted the
9X20 lathes can give you some guidance on motor sizing.

So to condense this: You build a power supply (normally 28 to 75VDC)
with front panel switches, you wire it up to Motor Conrollers (one
for each motor) and you use a PC with special software to give pulses
to the motor drive modules. There are lots of other "details" like
limit switches, e-stop configurations and precision spindle speed
control (needed if you want to bo threading).

All of that has been done and discussed here, so a search back through
with more questions than answers, but you can be specific about your
questions. Right now your questions (rightfully so) are akin to
asking: "what kind of vehicle should I buy and which color do I
need?" and we have to answer "well it depends...."

If you are not comfortable with wiring your own power supply and
motor drives than there are several people on the list that sell
completed units.

Discussion Thread

junkmail7892003 2003-10-26 06:57:24 UTC Home built controller vs. bought controller Harvey White 2003-10-26 07:23:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home built controller vs. bought controller caudlet 2003-10-26 07:35:42 UTC Re: Home built controller vs. bought controller Peter Homann 2003-10-26 14:51:51 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home built controller vs. bought controller