CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Names and font engraving info.

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2000-04-01 08:35:32 UTC
> Message: 21
> Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:02:30 -0500
> From: Paul Devey <paul_devey@...>
> Subject: RE: Digest Number 428/ as subject
>
> Fred,
>
> Will you post pictures/results on your web site?
>
> Paul

Who knows, somebody might show up with a camera and snap a few photos that
end up on our web site ;-)

The official web site for Names is at: http://www.modelengineeringsoc.com/

Scott Logan from Logan Actuator is kind enough to post a lot of information
about the show on his web site at:

http://www.loganact.com/names/index.htm

Between these two sites, you can see a lot of pictures from past shows, find
out where & when, etc.

As far as the new items that we will have at the show, those that get past
our beta and utility testing, and fit our pricing model, will probably end
up with full specs on the IMService web site. There is a little bit of info
about the Vector surfacing (even a couple of pictures) on our site at
http://www.vectorcam.com/cadcamedmdro.html

As far as questions about the Font carving/engraving, I showed/trained one
of our Vector customers (Mark Dreiling) how to derive a tool path to carve a
font (the hard way, one letter at a time) from a tru-type text path. He
then manually developed the tool paths for 5 complete fonts, obtained a
license to distribute them and now sells these for a nominal fee($40 for 2,
$100 for 5). He has written a Windows program that will automatically
generate a tool path to carve a text string in a straight line or a circle,
and it can be scaled to whatever size needed. He has a Shopbot, so the CNC
code he generates is a little weird (not G-code), but he also outputs Vector
PLC. PLC is an acronym for the Vector geometry import function. To see his
work, and a lot of background on the math please visit his site at:
http://members.aol.com/tesarna/

Mark has done a lot of research into how to develop the font center paths,
and has some excellent links (at the bottom of his page )to on-line math
archives. His work is very similar to our new program, but the new one will
be limited to the fonts installed on your Windows system, not to just the
five that have been painstakingly created.

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService

Discussion Thread

Fred Smith 2000-04-01 08:35:32 UTC Re: Names and font engraving info.