CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko err/res 5v supply

jrsmith3332001 wrote:

>I am in the process of building cnchomeman's err/res circuit, it
>says in the diagram to use enc+ as a source of 5v, but I have seen
>in other posts that an external psu can be used. I figure on having
>a single momentary switch to supply the 5v reset to all drives from
>an external power supply. Will this work, or should I use the
>individual drives enc+ to reset? Sorry for the daft questions! Jason.

I think some people have reported wierd problems when connecting
several gecko 320 err/res pins together. There is a lot of noise generated
when these drives are operating, and unless the power ground terminals
are tied together with a short length of very heavy wire, it is possible
that several volts of noise could develop between 2 drive units on that
connection. Since power ground is the reference for the err/res input,
that noise could cause one of the drives to shut down, because it thinks
it is getting an external error signal. At least, that's my analysis of
what the other people have reported. Somebody also reported that
connecting some value of resistor between the common connection and
each err/res terminal solved the interaction. This was all more than a year
ago, so I can't be real specific on the resistor value.

jrsmith3332001 2003-11-04 16:40:19 UTC Gecko err/res 5v supply Jon Elson 2003-11-04 22:13:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko err/res 5v supply