CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 3452

Posted by Don Rogers
on 2003-11-04 22:41:05 UTC
At 05:27 AM 11/5/03 +0000, you wrote:
>What's your definition of "a very tight tolerance"?
>At the extreme end, you could play with interferometry...

I would like to be able to detect a position within 0.0001", Closer would
be nice, but the expense of this might be overwhelming.

My idea is to set up a move to a position, but have the material be spring
loaded to allow for a variances in cutting densities so a very precise cut
could be made each time. IE, I cut butter on one pass and Stainless Steel
on the next, Both with the same instruction, and both cut to exactly the
same depth. I am not cutting a metal or wood. The material I am cutting
varies in density and hardness by direction, so multiple cuts around an
axis would yield different cut depths if a rigid movement was used. I need
to be able to detect that I am at that cut depth for each step around an
axis. I need to be able to detect that I am at the limit of a cut very
accurately.

>At the extreme end, you could play with interferometry.

Don't know. I have no experience with this process. Again, cost is an issue.

Don

Discussion Thread

Don Rogers 2003-11-04 22:41:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 3452 carel.thierry 2003-11-05 07:41:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 3452