CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Intro and Beginners

Posted by Tom
on 2003-11-19 10:02:13 UTC
Hi Tony, Let's start with a milling machining center. Once the part
is mounted to the machine you'll need to pick up the edges it is
dimensioned from. You can use an edge finder or if dimensioned from
an existing hole an indicator. At that point you will establish a
zero point. Then if using G codes that will be your G92 program
start point. That line of progran will read G92 X dim. Y dim. Z
dim. This is a non move command and tells the machine where to start
from. The following commands in the program tell the control the
direction, distance, feeds, speeds, and aux. functions (i.e. cutter
compensation right/left, coolant on/off etc.)The commands are
different for a lathe but similar in principle. This is the short
story Tony as there is not enough room here to tell it all but just
to give you an idea of how to get started. If you want to know more
and have specific questions email me out of group and I will try to
help. Good luck with you shop.
Regards,
Tom

Visit my webpage:
http://hometown.aol.com/cncxyzservicetec/myhomepage/tccbusiness.html

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Mori" <tonym@c...>
wrote:
> I'm a re-newcomer to lathes and mills. As I grew up, there were
> always lathes and mills around. My dad was a tool & die maker
> by trade, so it's always been around me.
>
> Well, it's been a while, and it's been nipping at my heels, so I'm
> splurging and buying equipment.
>
> Still some things I need to understand in the computerized and CNC
> world of machining.
>
> I understand how the CNC works, and the principles. I just have
> a hard time understanding how you start, ie, tell the software that
> the slide is here, the tool is angled this way, etc... you know:
the
> EXACT position of the tool in relation to the material, so it knows
> how/where to move it.
>
> How is this set up? Lord knows the tool can be mounted in a
bazillion
> different ways!
>
> Am I phrasing the question correctly?
>

> Tony

Discussion Thread

Tony Mori 2003-11-18 23:12:26 UTC Intro and Beginners Fred Smith 2003-11-19 03:06:03 UTC Re: Intro and Beginners Tom 2003-11-19 10:02:13 UTC Re: Intro and Beginners