CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: power supplies

Posted by Bill C.
on 2003-11-30 05:22:33 UTC
Switching supplies were are intended for loads that remain constant
so that the filtering is a portion of the design. The problem with
filter capacitors is that when they are subject to a varying load,
they will allow spikes of the chopped (switched) power to leak into
the load on their charge cycle. The same spikes are present with a
linear supply with a full wave bridge and filter capacitors but the
difference is the effect the inductive load of an electric motor has
on those capacitors. Back EMI from the motor has very little effect
on the large filter capacitors (due to frequency) of a linear supply
but will have very much effect on the smaller high frequency ones of
a switching supply.
Bill C.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "loren_allison"
<loren_allison@y...> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me the difference between a switching power supply
> and a linear power supply. I'm looking at a driver that states nOT
> use a switching power supply. Thanks,

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2003-01-19 09:12:15 UTC power supplies loren_allison 2003-11-29 19:43:24 UTC power supplies Robert Campbell 2003-11-29 20:05:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] power supplies JanRwl@A... 2003-11-29 20:54:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] power supplies Bill C. 2003-11-30 05:22:33 UTC Re: power supplies caudlet 2003-11-30 09:27:19 UTC Re: power supplies