CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC buffing / polishing

on 2003-12-01 17:09:26 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Earl" <colin@v...> wrote:
> I was looking at the motions I go through when on the buffing wheel
> when buffing out machine marks on my work piece. Got me to thinking
> about automating the motions (moving the piece and/or wheel to make
> the wheel flow along certain paths of the contours)... CNC
> buffing/polishing! Is there anything out there already in existance
> that does something like this? The parts I make are very contoured so
> every ridge and velly need attention to it.
>
> Im trying to cut down on my time invested in finishing out the part.
> I take fully contoured parts with pretty decent machine marks in them
> down to a smooth, mark-free finish.
>
> ideally would be a 5-axis setup.. wouldnt have to be too ridged.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks-
> Colin

Hi Colin, All,

Tool feeds and speeds do a lot for finish as does ridigity of the
machine.

vibration marks would indicate something amiss, dull bits, overhang,
not on center, loose or worn gibs, too much backlash(starting to really
reach), bearings starting to go.

I used to use a hydraulic 'tracer' on a lathe. it used a template and
followed that for cutting. the templates were the key. it may be
possible to make a CNC buffer attachement that followed the part
contour with some feeler type gauge. next time you are at the car
wash, considder the way they have the buffers follows the edge of the
car. Alternatly, just follow the cutter with a buffer.

Since we are here to talk building machines, I hope this stays with the
machine side of the converstation and not get into how to make parts
side.

The jobshop_homeshop list would be a great place to discuss the actual
machining of the parts.

Dave

Discussion Thread

Earl 2003-12-01 14:42:36 UTC CNC buffing / polishing turbulatordude 2003-12-01 17:09:26 UTC Re: CNC buffing / polishing