CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: broken tap in alum. for CNC conversion..HELP

Posted by ballendo
on 2003-12-04 07:21:47 UTC
Hello,

Typing "alum" into Yahoo search gives two online sources to buy from
at the top of the listing...

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

P.S. You mention living in a rural area. Alum is used for pickling...
Styptic pencils to stop blood flow also usually are alum based.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "jagco1998" <jagco1998@y...>
wrote:
> I have a small HSS tap broken off in a piece of 7000 series
aluminum
> that I want to dissolve out using aluminum sulphate(aka ALUM), by
> boiling the piece in a solution of the alum at around 120 degrees F
> until the tap dissolves ,turning into a rusty looking color, at
which
> point it can be flushed out with water without affecting the
aluminum
> part surrounding it.. but I dont know what it is or where it can be
> found easily.
>
> I was hoping that someone could tell me what it is and maybe give
me
> an idea of where it can be found.
> Id rather not have to make the part all over agin, because I have
> quite a few hours in it.
> And being that I live in the "sticks", a tap extractor can not be
> found anywhere closer than 100 miles or so from my location.If I
was
> looking to buy a pig or some chickens..I could buy them all day
long!
> But I dont think they serve my purpose too well.
>
> Ive googled and it seems that aluminum sulphate is used in a few
> different things......
> 1) as an astringent for swollen mucus membranes.(local pharmacist
> looked at me like I was crazy when asked about it)
> 2) used in certain types of fertilizers(what kind??where to look??)
> 3)found in most baking powders (although ive yet to see a baking
> powder label that indicates this)
> But no information as to where it can be found or what to look for.
>
> Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
>
> I sure would like to avoid machining another part again.......
>
> Thanks
> Jim

Discussion Thread

jagco1998 2003-12-03 19:05:32 UTC broken tap in alum. for CNC conversion..HELP stevenson_engineers 2003-12-04 00:41:16 UTC Re: broken tap in alum. for CNC conversion..HELP ballendo 2003-12-04 07:21:47 UTC Re: broken tap in alum. for CNC conversion..HELP