CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC freqmod.o question

Posted by earla13
on 2003-12-04 18:05:58 UTC
Ray, Thanks for the help. With your guidance I am finally
understanding more and more of the .ini files. Believe it of not,
the solution ended up being a faster PC. (from 400 Mhx to 1.5 ghz)
Everything works as expected now.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Ray Henry <rehenry@u...>
wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 02:44:17 -0000
> > From: "earla13" <earla13@h...>
> >
> > I have been using EMC steppermod.o for some time to control a
> > Sherline Mill with a simple Stepper Word step direction
controller.
> > When I try using freqmod.o the motors run much smoother, but I
> > eventually loose control of the Y and Z axis expecially when
homing
> > or sometimes when starting up EMC. The parallel port appears to
be
> > locked up and completely shutting down and turning off the PC
power
> > corrects the problem. It is not the parallel port...changing it to
> > another brand has no effect. Could it be that my PC is not fast
> > enough for freqmod.o ? (450 Mhz Pentium, Intel BX Motherboard,
512
> > meg RAM.) I have experimented with the Sherline Mods and played
with
> > their freqmod.ini files and get exactly the same result. Does
anyone
> > have any ideas?
>
> The first batch of Sherline PCs used a 1.2 GHz processor and the
INI file
> for frequency stepping is set up for that. It is also set up for
1/4
> microstepping and the standard direct connection between the 200
steps
> per revolution motor and the 20 tpi screw. This means a value of
16000
> steps per inch of travel.
>
> The first thing that you will need to do is set INPUT_SCALE and
> OUTPUT_SCALE so that the distance you command with the EMC matches
the
> actual distance traveled by an axis. If the commanded distance is
the
> same as actual distance moved then a value of 16000 is okay. If
not you
> will have to change these scale values to match your setup.
>
> You'll need to increase the time allowed for one period and adjust
the
> trajectory max velocity variable. The Sherline values are;
>
> PERIOD = 0.000016
> MAX_VELOCITY = .36
>
> As a first guess, I'd try
>
> PERIOD = 0.00004
> MAX_VELOCITY = .2
>
> That will reduce your rapid travel to about 12 ipm but should let
it run.
> You may gradually reduce period until you see noticable delay in
the way
> that the mouse pointer moves over the mini interface.
>
> From there you can gradually increase max_velocity until you get
following
> errors on long moves. When you've found a good max_velocity you
should
> change that parameter in each of the axis definitions as well as in
the
> traj section. You don't need to have the motors powered up when
you do
> these tests and adjustments -- except for the actual vs commanded
> distance.
>
> The home thing is a puzzle, do you have real home switches? If
yes, you
> can NOT use the "Joe" or "All Zero" button. You'll have to use the
> individual home button or keyboard <home> instead.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ray

Discussion Thread

earla13 2003-11-30 18:44:38 UTC EMC freqmod.o question Ray Henry 2003-12-01 08:06:43 UTC Re: EMC freqmod.o question earla13 2003-12-04 18:05:58 UTC Re: EMC freqmod.o question