CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: some of the strange problems with EMC [asimtec]

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2003-12-11 20:33:34 UTC
> From: Jon Elson <elson@...>
> Subject: Re: some of the strange problems with EMC [asimtec]
>
> Asim Khan wrote:
> >Thanks Ray and Jon for replying to my post about "G54,G55"
> >
> >I have noticed (many times) that sometimes when you run a program and
> >then you run another program next time (without closing and re
> >running) the interpreter runs this second program with a Feed value
> >which was being used in the last program. Although this second
> >program has the command for feed (for example F500).
> >
> >Also I've noticed that sometimes G28 homes the axes at very slow feeds
> >although the feed in program is much higher.
> >
> >Sometimes when you run a program and interpreter encounters for
> >example "g01 x5 y10" and axis starts moving to some very strange
> >positions mostly towards hardware limits!
> >
> >Another problem i've seen is that EMC displays old error message. Like
> >if you had +ve limit on x axis once, and you get get -limit on y axis
> >then EMC displays the old message that "+Ve limit on x-axis".
> >It seems as if the message boxes being displayed in EMC lag by on Old
> >message.
> >
> >I am using BDI-EMC version 2.16 and I had tried the previous versions
> >also but all had these problem. I am using Servo2Go 8 axis Card. and
> >my display program is tkEMC.
> >

> I have seen some of this slow feed behavior, too. I think it mostly
> crops up when
> switching back and forth between manual and auto modes, and especially
> when also using some MDI commands. One thing I have seen on the very
> oldest versions was that hitting 9 then 0 would restore the feed rate,
> ie. that
> a low feed rate override had somehow gotten set.
>
> I really don't believe that I've seen the other odd behaviors. There
> was a bug
> a long time ago where if you interrupted a multi-axis move (such as G01
> X1 Y2)
> with the esc key, and then programmed a single axis move such as G01
> X-1, you would actually see movement to X-1 Y2. I'm quite sure this
> problem has been fixed long before the BDI came about.
>
> I may have seen wrong error boxes on occasion, I'm not sure. I AM sure
> that the error boxes are not ALWAYS delayed by one message. It is
> possible for these error boxes to stack up, however. Since they are
> modal, they won't let you
> do anything on the screen until they are OK'd, so I don't think that's
> what you are
> seeing.
>
> I have not done any work on EMC in metric units, and it is known there
> are some
> quirks in the metric setup.

I believe that BDI-2.16 was about the time that the lag in error messages
was fixed. That was demonstrated and fixed during at NAMES two years ago
next April. I can say that it does not happen with the current releases.

It is true that these error popups can stack up behind the tkemc screen
and cause all kinds of havoc with the logical mind. When we wrote the
Sherline GUI I used a scratch pad kind of message board as a part of the
main screen for exactly this reason.

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ray Henry 2003-12-10 20:45:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 3520 Asim Khan 2003-12-11 06:34:45 UTC some of the strange problems with EMC [asimtec] Jon Elson 2003-12-11 14:40:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] some of the strange problems with EMC [asimtec] Leslie M. Watts 2003-12-11 20:13:33 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] some of the strange problems with EMC [asimtec] Ray Henry 2003-12-11 20:33:34 UTC Re: Re: some of the strange problems with EMC [asimtec] Jon Elson 2003-12-11 23:52:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: some of the strange problems with EMC [asimtec] Asim Khan 2003-12-14 04:22:28 UTC Re: some of the strange problems with EMC [asimtec] asimtec@y... 2003-12-17 09:40:13 UTC EMC and problem with workoffsets when run in mm units [asimtec]