CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Simple Probe

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2003-12-19 05:26:35 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "stcnc2000" <bobbya01@h...>
wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I was impressed with the Simple Probe and was wondering if a micro
> switch would work? If all that the six balls do is make and break a
> circuit and output 3 to 1 volt.

A micro switch will work just fine. However, it will only measure in
one direction -Z. You can write probing routines that will
accurately collect this kind of data by bouncing in the Z direction.
This may fail in the case of a vertical wall that you try to scan
across. Use a long pin to actuate the micro switch and you may avoid
smashing your switch.

A more efficient way to probe is to detect in more than one
direction. The 6 ball contact switch will open in any of 5 axis
motion directions, +X, -X, +Y, -Y, -Z. Collecting this data can be
done very efficiently. The only problem with it, is that the tip of
the probe will distort the surface by the tangency of the ball
radius. If your software can handle compensation for the ball tip,
the data collection path can be much closer to the actual surface
contour, without requiring jumps in Z to avoid side wise collisions.

The DeskCNC TP-100 probe is a ready made device that has this
capability. The DeskCNC controller software also includes tip
compensation, creation of a 3D .stl surface file, and 3D cutter
toolpath creation (CAM). You can measure and re-machine in one
application, including roughing and finishing with whatever size
tools you prefer to use.

The probe may be seen at:

http://www.imsrv.com/deskcnc/probe.htm

$275 with DeskCNC

Fred Smith - IMService
We are THE source for low cost Cad-Cam
http://www.imsrv.com/hobby for group discounts and specials

Discussion Thread

stcnc2000 2003-12-18 18:14:18 UTC Simple Probe Fred Smith 2003-12-19 05:26:35 UTC Re: Simple Probe