CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Converter or Inverter for 2hp Bridgeport mill - OT?

Posted by washcomp
on 2004-01-04 19:05:21 UTC
I don't pretend to be an expert on generators either, but I remember
seeing steam engine plants from the late 1800's whch had a small
generator hooked up to supply EMF to the coils of a much larger
generator (or maybe dynamo, foret whether it was for AC or DC).

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "vavaroutsos" <pete@v...>
wrote:
> Bob, I'm no expert on generators, but I don't think many
generators
> [...]
> <bobmcknight@c...> wrote:
> > To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> > From: "vavaroutsos" <pete@v...>
> > Date sent: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:42:44 -0000
> > Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Converter or
> > Inverter for 2hp Bridgeport mill
> > Send reply to: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> >
> > petev
> >
> > OK
> > Let me explain where I am coming from and I sure never got this
> > out of a text book. Generators are Motors and Motors are
> Generators.
> >
> > I question this with some of the static motors, but it is from
lack
> of
> > knowledge, not misinformation.
> >
> > I have been told and again never checked it out that if you over
> > speed an induction motor it will become a generator. I kinda
> bought
> > this based on residual magnetism.
> >
> > So your explaination makes sense because I would be operating in
> > the middle of the area between motor and generator which would
> > no current flowing or no energy applied. Except I figured I
> would
> > be supplying a little energy, but I figured I was supplying
energy
> > overcome mainly friction forces, but I can see that is not the
> case.
> >
> > I am at the stage I was many years ago with pumps. I thought
that
> > shutting off the flow of water would make the pump work harder
(true
> > for piston pumps). But in centrifugal pumps.either air or
water,
> > throttling the input reduces current flow. I learned this the
hard
> way.
> > I took a blower unit out of a furnace and ran it just as a vent
fan
> in
> > the shop. It burned up. Fortunately I had more and shut off
> almost
> > all the air on the side opposite the motor to get the current
down
> > where it belonged.
> > Which brings up another question. Most convertors are used to
> > run motors. I am using this to run large a large welding
> transformer.
> > See any problems with the weak leg. The local power company
> > can supply 3 phase for a price and it will have a weak leg.
> >
> > Bob McKnight
> >
> > [ Double-click this line for list subscription options ]
> >
> > Bob, I assume you are using an induction motor? If so, the
magnetic
> > field in the rotor is caused by the slippage. If the rotor is
> turning
> > at the same speed as the stator magnetic field, it does not see a
> > moving field and no currents will be induced. Without a magnetic
> field
> > in the rotor, you won't get any voltage on your generated leg.
If
> you
> > don't beleive me try just spinning the motor with no windings
> > connected. No voltage will be generated because there is no
field in
> > the rotor.
> >
> > When an induction motor is loaded, more slippage occurs. This
> creates
> > more current in the rotor and a stronger magnetic field. This in
> turn
> > balances the force of the load on the rotor.
> >
> > ~petev
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Bob McKnight"
> > <bobmcknight@c...> wrote:
> > > To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> > > From: "vavaroutsos" <pete@v...>
> > > Date sent: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:33:33 -0000
> > > Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Converter or
> > > Inverter for 2hp Bridgeport mill
> > > Send reply to: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> > >
> > > Petev
> > >
> > > It started out that way. The motor I am using is a 15 HP unit.
> > > After looking at the voltage differences and the phasing, I
got
> the
> > > idea that some of that may be caused by the slippage from
> > > synchronous. So, since I was going to use a motor to start the
> > > convertor, I decided to try to eliminate the slippage. I have
> asked
> > > around and even my EE friends don't know. I thought somebody
here
> > > might know, if not, I will just plug along.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Bob McKnight
> > > [ Double-click this line for list subscription options ]
> > >
> > > Bob, what are you using the small motor for? Is this just to
> start
> > the
> > > rotary converter? Why don't you just add a start capacitor and
> > > potential relay. If you're building a small unit, you could
use a
> > > Supco SPP-8E hard start available from www.grainger.com
(4MG78).

> > > If you use run caps to both single phase legs and a good motor
you
> > > should get a nice generated leg. My generated leg varies about
10V
> > > from no load to full load and the phase angle is pretty good.
> > >
> > > ~petev
> > >
> > > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Bob McKnight"

rebuilding
> the