CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: timing belt gear reduction advice

Posted by tsalaff
on 2004-01-05 20:36:18 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Troy"
<superscooby3000@y...> wrote:
> If I use a timing belt around two pulleys do I need to allow for
> some adjustment in the motors position to compensate for slight
> differences in belt length and to aid in installing and removing
the
> belt. Or can I simply have the motor with its pully and the
shaft
> with its pully at a calculated fixed distance, and stretch the
> pulley around the pulleys.
>
> I believe I can accuratly get the distance between two pullys and
> the length of the belt calculated pretty accuratly using Sdp/si
> little belt calculator: http://www.sdp-si.com/Cd/default.htm
>
> Thanks
> Troy

You need to have some form of adjustment in order to eliminate
backlash. If the belt doesn't stretch, you will never get the belt
around the two pullies without removing one of them.
One approach it to have the motor mount adjustable and another is to
use a stationary motor mount but have an adjustable idler pulley
pushing on the belt between the motor and driven shaft.

Steve

Discussion Thread

Troy 2004-01-05 19:56:36 UTC timing belt gear reduction advice wanliker@a... 2004-01-05 20:17:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] timing belt gear reduction advice C.S. Mo 2004-01-05 20:28:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] timing belt gear reduction advice tsalaff 2004-01-05 20:36:18 UTC Re: timing belt gear reduction advice Troy 2004-01-05 21:25:26 UTC Re: timing belt gear reduction advice Jon Elson 2004-01-05 21:52:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] timing belt gear reduction advice John Johnson 2004-01-06 06:47:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] timing belt gear reduction advice