CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Fast Digitizing algorithms - was 'Digitizing'

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2004-01-05 21:34:05 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Doug Fortune <pentam@c...>
wrote:

> > Graham Stabler wrote:
> > > <SNIP>
> > > Doug Fortune also produced an interesting algorithm that I did
> > > implement, there are some threads on the subject under the
> > > title "digitizer algorithms", again I just need to get around to
> > > doing some more tests. Dougs was quite cool because the probe
has
> > > constant contact and is was very fast, I just wanted to check
the
> > > results were ok.
> > >

> Hi Alan:
>
> The discourse was over on the 'TurboCNC' list:

2003
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/turbocnc/message/989 Thu May 16,
2002

> and my algorithm was posted here:
2002

This is somewhat similar to the surface probing method used in
DeskCNC, with a few additional refinements thrown in, like probe tip
diameter compensation and some surface smoothing algorithms.

The resulting surface measurement is output as a 3D .stl file rather
than a point cloud.

The probing software is integrated within the DeskCNC cam and
controller program and can be used with a normally closed probe. The
DeskCNC probe is 5 way activated and can scan over 20,000 points per
hour.

The DeskCNC probe also does double duty as an automatic tool length
measurement device when not in use as a probe.

http://www.imsrv.com/deskcnc/probe.htm

You can see it in action on a Sherline Mill at Cabin Fever in York,
PA on January 17-18th, 2004. Less than 2 weeks from now.

For more info about Cabin Fever:
http://www.cabinfeverexpo.com/

Fred Smith - IMService
Group discounts and specials are at:
http://www.imsrv.com/hobby

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2004-01-05 16:54:38 UTC Fast Digitizing algorithms - was 'Digitizing' Fred Smith 2004-01-05 21:34:05 UTC Re: Fast Digitizing algorithms - was 'Digitizing' Alan Marconett KM6VV 2004-01-06 11:13:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Fast Digitizing algorithms - was 'Digitizing'