CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea.

Posted by james owens
on 2000-04-10 10:57:00 UTC
I would not buy the effective diameter adjustment theory either. I have no facts to support this, just call it a gut reaction. How ever I do offer more than comment.

If you build the device and enclose it inside a tube or box this would effectively seal out the dirt, chips and cutting oil.

What could then be done is feed the signal through a PIC based DRO with the facility that an error in your disk driving wheel can be accounted for. ie. measuring the travel against reading and then adding the error via a key-pad which would be stored until changed or deleted. Another reason for keeping it all simple and using a PIC per axis.

Regards,

Terry.

----- Original Message -----
From: beer@...
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 5:57 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea.

A long time ago, someone I don't know emailed me the details of his
homemade DRO that used rotary encoders. I've long since lost the
emails, so I can't tell you his name .. too bad.

I was concerned about two issues with rotary encoders and had come up
with no satisfactory solution - his idea purported to solve both.
Unfortunately, the parts are still in a box, awaiting the completion of
about 25 other projects, so I can't give a definitive answer.

james owens 2000-04-10 10:57:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea.