CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Reality check, resolution with this encoder/pitch combo?

Posted by caudlet
on 2004-02-11 15:26:37 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Anderson <janders@n...>
wrote:
> I have some of the Reliance servo motors I bought on ebay that have
been
> discussed here before. I've forgotten the exact encoder count but
> working on the assumption it's 1024 lines I get 4096 counts.
> If I couple this with a 10mm (.394) pitch lead screw 1:1, my
spreadsheet
> shows a theoretical resolution of .000096/encoder count.
> Does this look right?
> Application is a bolt on CNC attachment for my lathe, travels
limited
> and I'm not concerned with high rapids. Just want some good
resolution
> on the X axis.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon

Math looks right. That's the resolution, not the accuracy. That
depends on the tightness of your system and zero (and it would have
to be zero) backlash in the system. 96 microns is hard to measure!
At lathe speeds you will be operating the motors at the low end of
their torque curve. Might want to consider some belt gearing to
change the equation.

Discussion Thread

Jon Anderson 2004-02-11 09:33:28 UTC Reality check, resolution with this encoder/pitch combo? caudlet 2004-02-11 15:26:37 UTC Re: Reality check, resolution with this encoder/pitch combo? Jon Anderson 2004-02-11 18:31:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Reality check, resolution with this encoder/pitch combo? Jon Elson 2004-02-11 21:11:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Reality check, resolution with this encoder/pitch combo?