CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] parts list

Posted by Andy Wander
on 2004-02-23 09:13:09 UTC
I just finished building my controller into an old PC tower case-I used the
PC supply for the LV power supply, to operate my relays, etc. It also had a
fan in the supply, and another in the case itself, which I am using to cool
the heatsink for my motor drives. Worked great-just make sure you use a case
that has an easy-to-remove cover.

You will need:
Motors(either stepper or servo, of proper capacity for the mill you are
going to install them on.)

Encoders for the motors if using servos

A method for mounting the motors

A method (toothed belt or direct drive are most common) for getting the
motor motion to your screws.

Some would recommend ballscrews instead of acme screws-I am not sure,
myself.

The controller will need:
A PC of some sort

A Power supply of the proper voltage and amperage for your motors

Motor Drives to control what the motors do with that power supply

Software to let the PC control the motor drives

A parallel port breakout/isolation board is often recommended(If you
are using the parallel port)

You will seee form the above that you really can't start looking for the
exact parts until you have some idea of:
What mill you will use
What motors you will use
What software you will use

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I just finished adding CNC to my
Shoptask 3-in-1 machine, using MACH2 on a Pentium IV, 500 oz-in steppers
with belt drives, and Gecko 201A motor drives, in a custom built PC case
with a 56V 20A DC supply.

Andy Wander
Verrex Corporation

PS never throw anything away from the junk box, unless you REALLY want to
find a use for it in about a week!!