CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] using a stepper motor as an input device

Posted by Harvey White
on 2004-02-24 14:13:41 UTC
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:53:16 -0000, you wrote:

>I am new to this field - i have a programming background however.
>
>I am interested in building a cnc router that i can use to do some
>reverse engineering. I want to be able to trace and part (OK - for
>now lets just say it's in 2D) and create a set of X-Y points.
>
>Is this something that is commonly done? I know i could buy a
>microscribe for $4,000, but i thought i could make something for much
>less.
>
>I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

You can. An x/y table layout with a z probe will do just fine, you
might want to consider a gantry design because it has less moving
parts, and is easier to make large.

If this is all you want to do with that table, then you are talking
small motors.

From there, you accumulate a series of points, often called a "point
cloud", for which I think software exists already to convert into a
dxf file.

Harvey