CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 451

Posted by Ron Ginger
on 2000-04-12 17:36:30 UTC
> Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 16:16:10 EDT
> From: wanliker@...
>Subject: Whats the status?

>The following is a section of an old posting. Ron can you give us an update
>on your work?
>bill

I have posted a short description and several screen shots to my web
page, http://plsntcov.8m.com/CNH.htm.

I recently added a 'learn' feature to it, where you can use the mill as
a coordinate measuring machine to pick points off some object, then mill
around that path. I also finished the repeat function with XY offset.

I will have it to demo at NAMES, running the grizz mini.

My approach is very different from the conventional Gcode, and I think
much more usefull to the home shop guy. We often make parts that are
repair parts, where we dont have any dimensions. Measuring things, then
drawing, then generating gcode is a slower process. I think also for
making parts like the common links, connectiong rods, base plates, etc
that are part of model engineering the interactive approach is easier to
lean, and faster than gcode.

If your job is 3D mold making, then interactive is clearly not suitable.
Or if you run a business and have designers and machinists and want each
to do their own work.

As to distribution, I have been thinknig a lot, and can not decide. If I
sell the package, I feel a strong obligation to offer support, and I
already have a fuil time job. But yet, I have a lot of time into it and
dont want to just give it all away. Ive been thinking about a shareware
model, and maybe asking everyone that gets a copy to send me a small
sample part made with the program, just as a souviner collection for me.

since my 'real job' now depends on Linux and the open source model, I
feel like I ought to put my program out on the net.

Ah, well, a good topic to discuss over a beer at the pub across from
NAMES!

ron

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 2000-04-12 17:36:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 451