CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Cad/Cam Software

Posted by Dan Hogsett
on 2004-02-26 20:37:35 UTC
I've been professionally trained in AutoCAD, Solidworks, and
Pro/Engineer. I've used AutoCAD for 15 years. In my opinion, there is
no all around package. If it were me, I would go with the Solidworks
basic package, and AutoCAD LT. For both packages, you are looking at
spending about $4800.00 total(3995.00 for SW basic and 800.00 for
AutoCAD LT). SW gives you the ability to do somewhat complex 3D
models, assemblies, and drawings. The AutoCAD could be used for quick
and dirty drawings and any other 2D drawing. Pro/Engineer is also an
excellent package, but not very easy to learn(Pre Wildfire). I hear
the new Wildfire version of Pro/E is much easier to learn, but I
haven't used it, so I can't comment on it. BTW, if you want to try
Solidworks, you can get the personal edition for virtually free. You
cannot export 3D models with this version, but at least you can see
if you like it.

Dan

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "kc8fws" <Michael_MSN@M...>
wrote:
> Hi All, I was wondering what cad/cam software you use. I am looking
> and have been messing around with Turbocad but it is neanderthal
> compared to my needs. Any recommendations of a good all around
> package (if one exists) Something somewhat intuitive would be nice.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Discussion Thread

kc8fws 2004-02-26 14:56:51 UTC Cad/Cam Software xlch58@s... 2004-02-26 15:20:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cad/Cam Software Dan Hogsett 2004-02-26 20:37:35 UTC Re: Cad/Cam Software Michael Milligan 2004-02-27 02:02:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Cad/Cam Software