CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotons freewheeling crashproof ballscrew

Posted by Doug Fortune
on 2000-04-13 21:23:33 UTC
Jon Anderson wrote:

> Doug,
>
> That freewheeling screw is, I believe, intended for more for automated
> machinery and such. However, if it's as accurate as the regular ball
> screws and backlash free, it would eliminate any chance of damage due to
> a run away servo motor or gross number error in a stepper system.
> As long as the tool doesn't hit something before the nut has a chance to
> freewheel...

Reading the fineprint, it says it is not suitable for steppers or presumably
servos with encoder feedback on the motor shaft or ballscrew shaft.

However, if the feedback was directly from the table motion, the system
would seem to have a very nice safety aspect. Also, we all seem to be
in agreement that feedback from table motion is more accurate anyways.

Doug

Discussion Thread

Jon Anderson 2000-04-13 21:13:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotons freewheeling crashproof ballscrew Doug Fortune 2000-04-13 21:23:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotons freewheeling crashproof ballscrew William Scalione 2000-04-13 21:24:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotons freewheeling crashproof ballscrew