CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Currect size relay for E-STOP

Posted by Andy Wander
on 2004-04-01 18:04:42 UTC
Michael:

Your questions, as good questions always should, made me start thinking even
more about this-and as usual, when I think, I realize just how little I
really know!

I did a little further research, and found that at least one manufacturer,
Leach International www.leachintl.com
Recommends the following in their Application note No 101, says that your
method of using Ohms Law to use a relay at a higher than rated voltage can
be valid.

"DERATING OF CONTACTS FOR DC VOLTAGES
ABOVE NOMINAL RATING
To establish a standard for the derating of relay contacts is, at best, a
subjective practice. Limitations are governed by the type
of relay, contact gap, maximum voltage capabilities of the relay contact
system, and the contact material.
The most common method is to derate the contacts by use of the Power
Formula, using the known current and voltage.
This method is valid only for Resistive Loads, and is an approximation only;
keeping in mind the limitations mentioned above.
Power = IE (Current x Voltage)
I2 E2 = 2/3 I1E1
Example:
A designer is working with a 55 volt DC system and has a relay rated at 10
amps resistive at 28 volts DC.
What is the maximum current that can be switched at 55 Vdc.
I1 = 10 Amperes
E1 = 28 VDC
E2 = 55 VDC
I2 = ? (Current ratings at 55 VDC Resistive)
I2 E2 = 2 I1 E1/3
I2 = 2 I1 E1/E23
= 2 (10 x 28)/55 x 3
= 560/165
I2 = 3.4 Amperes at 55VDC
In addition, the user should always be concerned about the following:
1. Derating contacts that are rated for less than 10 Amperes at nominal
voltage.
2. Derating contacts for use in system voltages above 130 Volts DC"

So maybe it would work just fine. You might look at those P&B App notes I
steered you toward in the last message, where they talk about methods of
suppressing the arc.

Also, given the costs of higher-voltage rated relays, it might be worth just
trying-I would think that at worst, you would lose a relay-can't think of
how it would damage anything else, even if the relay welded shut and the
resistor was always in circuit

Andy Wander
Verrex Corporation