CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC torch

Posted by caudlet
on 2004-04-03 15:16:04 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "stcnc2000" <thinkcnc@h...>
wrote:
> Hi to all,
> If you have a CNC plasma torch or think about build one goto:
> http://STcnc.tripod.com/cnctorch
> New software DXF2G-Code program added.
>
> Thinkcnc
> Bob

Interesting and certainly priced fairly but it's missing some of the
really important things that would make it more plasma friendly:
First, adjustable lead-ins. Either you have to add them in your CAD
or illustration drawing (they have to be the start of the segment).
Another handy feature is being able to click on a closed object and
define an inside or outside cut with offset (the torch needs offset
just like a rotary cutting tool). Open Line segments are cut "on-
line" (no offset)

One last suggestion: give the operator the option to have Z 0.0 as
the surface of the material and allow a defined positive pierce
height and a postitive cutting height above zero. If you are using a
THC the piercing function and delay is controlled by the THC but it
works better to start a pierce, immediataly dive the torch into the
cut (normally only about .04 or .05) and start XY movement. While we
can write some complex macro's into the M03 and M05 in MACH2 not all
controller software has that option.

Contact me off list if you would like some code examples.

Discussion Thread

stcnc2000 2004-04-03 13:51:58 UTC CNC torch caudlet 2004-04-03 15:16:04 UTC Re: CNC torch Robin Szemeti 2004-04-12 02:39:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CNC torch