CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Just to be completely sure - power supply size

Posted by ballendo
on 2004-04-11 05:40:27 UTC
Hello,

It's important to note that the Gecko "white papers" are referring to
GECKO drives in many instances... In too many cases, they have been
used as if the info was the same for ALL stepper drives. (Parts are.
But not all)

Mariss himself has said that the 2/3's "rule" is for HIS drives.

The guy(s?- Derek, I think) who developed the DenverCNC drive box did
some testing of/with the xylotex board and found that a 4A supply was
enough for full 2.5A x 3 operation...

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ghidera2000"
<ghidera2000@y...> wrote:
> Ok, I've manage to mis-remember this stuff before so I'd better
> check.
>
> Reading the Gecko stepper motor white paper, its says Bipolar
motors
> use 1/3 of their rated amperage. With this in mind, If I have three
> 2.5A motors, the power supply needs to be (minimum) 2.5A - not
> 3x2.5A. Is this correct?
>
> If so, I'd likely go up to a 3A or 4A transformer just to be safe.
>
> I'm converting my A3977 based 3 axis driver schematic to opto-
> isolation. I'll post it for (brutal) scrutiny later today.

Discussion Thread

ghidera2000 2004-04-10 08:19:13 UTC Just to be completely sure - power supply size Robert Campbell 2004-04-10 08:26:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Just to be completely sure - power supply size ghidera2000 2004-04-10 08:54:23 UTC Re: Just to be completely sure - power supply size ballendo 2004-04-11 05:40:27 UTC Re: Just to be completely sure - power supply size