CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PCB design and manufacture

Posted by Harvey White
on 2004-04-15 19:10:24 UTC
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:59:00 -0400, you wrote:

>Alright, I am designing the card right now, but have a newbie question.. How
>well do DC and AC interact?
>I have 25-35x AC motors, and need to control them via the
>parallel/serial/usb port, but I was planning on using some NPN transistors
>as amps, with the base being DC and the amp power being the collector..
>But for some reason I don't think this will work...

In this case, they react very badly.

Transistors are made to switch/control one polarity.

Feed them the wrong polarity (other half of the AC cycle) and they go
poof....

Poof is bad....

If you want to turn them on and off only, then you can use a zero
crossing switch/relay rated for the motor's voltage and current. It's
controlled by an LED kind of input.

If you want to get speed control out of them, and they're the type of
motor that can respond to different voltages by different speeds
(generally not an AC motor, BTW), then you can use a circuit that acts
like a triac speed control. (good way to do this might be a light
dimmer, and replace the pot with an *isolated* photocell/LED
combination, you'll get a speed control out of that, use the really
cheap rotary knob kind.

If the motors are two phase, then you can control them by changing the
phase between the two windings... but this is often exactly what
happens in a stepper...

Harvey