CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Where to begin choosing Stepper Controller for Mill Drill?

Posted by Nick Ibbitson
on 2004-04-19 04:40:45 UTC
Hi Paul,

speaking as a similarly poor enthusiast ( every purchase must be cleared by
the financial control dept or wife as she is more commonly known)
Here is a question for everyone out there whilst i am on, I can see the
obvious benefits of a cnc mill why does my wife keep comparing it
detrementally to a new kitchen???!, what is a new kitchen going to do as
aginst a the existing perfectly functional one??. Am i right!? but i
digress. :-)

I have got a Hobbycnc board which works great but and here is the big but,
only upto 1.25amps unipolar only (and it only halfsteps), depending on the
size of your machine you may need more power than that, if this is the case
you could do alot worse than the Xylotec 2.5amp bipolar controller(up to
1/8th steps!), i have it running a Cobra Type mill (actually a better built
Micromill but looks the same) on double stack size 23 bipolar 2.1amp motors
and it wizzes it along! ( all thanks to simplycnc.com).

The Xylotec is £116.00 complete which makes it a very good value as far as i
am concerned.

Software is available in may forms the choice is wide but as has been
mentioned here before Mach2 is brilliant for XP, however if you want a cheap
pc/laptop to run a DOS control you might consider Turbocnc which, for what
it is, great as well and is only $20!.

The choice is yours.

Nick