CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 2000-04-20 11:45:18 UTC
You know me, I always have an opinion.

There is no comparison in the 2 products in my mind. The Linux version is
certainly a better product. The Linux version is a GUI based program that
can be operated by the mouse or hot keys. The DOS port has a visual display,
but is totally controlled by a command line. In the Linux version you can
work on other applications while EMC is running. In the DOS version you have
to close the program to do anything else (I imagine you can switch windows
if you are running it in a DOS window under WFW or Win9X, but it seems to me
that it would be safer to run under pure DOS as port timing sometimes get
funky in the Windows environment). The Linux version lets you edit the
G-code file from within EMC and can run the Backplot function that Ray Henry
created, the DOS version does not do these things.

OTOH, the DOS version would seem to be a great program for someone that is
just not ready to take the Linux plunge and wants to get a CNC controller up
and running quickly. Just load a few floppies for DOS and copy the DeskNCrt
file and away you go. I already had DOS running and it only took me a few
minutes to get DeskNCrt to operate my machine.

Tim
[Denver, CO]

----- Original Message -----
From: <wanliker@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC

> In a message dated 4/19/00 8:55:02 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> timg@... writes:
>
> << The DOS port is being done by Carl at Deskam ( http://www.deskam.com/ )
>>

> How does this rendition compare to the LINUX/EMC program, anyone care to
make
> a comparison??
> bill

Discussion Thread

wanliker@a... 2000-04-19 23:43:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC wanliker@a... 2000-04-19 23:46:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Tim Goldstein 2000-04-20 06:29:32 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]DeskNCRT, was: EMC wanliker@a... 2000-04-20 08:32:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Tim Goldstein 2000-04-20 11:45:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC