CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Langlois EDM

Posted by oliver_lang1
on 2004-04-27 09:09:42 UTC
I have to second the other opinion against using Langlois' plans for
any commercial of professional level burning. I built the unit from
the plans as they progressed through HSM years ago. I was
disappointed with Part VI, since that would have been the most
important part of the electronics.

Good luck with your build however. It's pretty enjoyable. You
should check out the other EDM plans on Dan Mauch's site too.

Oliver Lang
Mold Maker/Mold Designer

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "travisdup1"
<travisdup1@y...> wrote:
> I have purchased the Langlois EDM book. I am considering building
> the EDM. What are the capibilities of this EDM? I don't expect it
> to perform like the $20,000 ram machines I ran many years ago. But
> I would like to know its realistic capibilities.
>
> How much electrode surface area can this machine handle? 8 sq inch
> using carbon? I am sure it would be very, very, slow.
> What type of finish can it achive? If set up properly and patient.
> How fast will it cut on the high settings? 2 sq inch how deep per
> hour in hardend steel.
>
> I will try to add all the components in part 6 Odds and Ends. I
> have had some electronics experience in the past. And I also worked
> as a machinist in the plastic injection mold industry many years
> ago. I will have to relearn both EDM set ups and electronics. I
> can't even recall any of the power setting I used in the past. But
> I sure remember how versital that machine was. I loved using it. I
> would set it up, get it burning shapes in mold inserts and go do
> something else. If I do the Project I will machine a gibbed head for
> the plunger assemble to help with accuracy.
>
> Thanks, Travis

Discussion Thread

travisdup1 2004-04-27 05:51:34 UTC Langlois EDM Marcus and Eva 2004-04-27 07:04:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Langlois EDM oliver_lang1 2004-04-27 09:09:42 UTC Re: Langlois EDM turbulatordude 2004-04-27 09:25:38 UTC Re: Langlois EDM Marcus 2004-04-27 15:57:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Langlois EDM