CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko conversion

r74444 wrote:

>I just purchased a 1986 Millport mill with Anilam Crusader CNC
>controls on it. It has at least one board on it that needs repair.
>I have also come to find out that the contols and memory on it are
>somewhat primitive by todays standards. Instead of spending a fair
>penny on fixing the system I am considering retrofitting to a
>Gecko drive system by saving the original power supply, glass
>scales and servos. Does anyone know if this is a workable idea
>and do I have any problems to overcome? I would first like to be
>sure that the conections would be the same for the scales as would
>they be for encoders? Thanks.

Probably. It would help to check this with someone who has done this.
One possible problem is that the Gecko drives don't have an adjustable
deadband. This might lead to very annoying hunting behavior due to
the backlash and other effects (like coupling or belt stretch). There are
ways to get around this with some external hardware. You should also
check out the scale resolution and figure out what step pulse rate
you will need to get acceptable rapid feed speeds. I don't think this is
going to be a problem, though.

A 1986 machine will almost be guaranteed to use a 5 V power supply for
the scales.

r74444 2004-05-15 00:49:03 UTC Gecko conversion Jon Elson 2004-05-15 19:56:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko conversion