CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko Vs. Rutex

Hayssam Ibrahim wrote:

>Hello everyone.
>
>I have done lots of research on drives for my cnc mill conversion. I
>made up my mind to use the Gecko drive until I stumbled upon the
>Rutex drive on CNC Zone web site. It seems like few people recommend
>Rutex over Gecko. There are not much discussions on Rutex. does
>anyone out there know the advantage of using one over the other.

I can't state any differeces from actual experiences. But, note that
the Rutex
drives have a tolerance of either 20,000 or 30,000 encoder counts, depending
on model. That means that the axis can be up to 20 or 30,000 counts away
from the commanded position before the drive sends a fault signal to the
computer! What will that do to your workpiece? The Gecko 320 and 340
drives can be no more than 128 encoder counts away from the commanded
position before signalling a fault condition. That may still be excessive
in some situations, however.

The only advantage of the Rutex is that it allows higher voltages, which may
be beneficial with specific (higher voltage) servo motors. I guess they
also
have a 40 A drive, now. But, I wouldn't consider them unless I had encoder
feedback direcxtly to the computer for the above reason.

Hayssam Ibrahim 2004-05-26 07:26:23 UTC Gecko Vs. Rutex james_cullins@s... 2004-05-26 08:01:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko Vs. Rutex Jon Elson 2004-05-26 09:49:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko Vs. Rutex