CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Glass Scales G320

photoshop4eva wrote:

>Can you use linear glass scale encoders with a Gecko 320, or our you limited to the rotary
>type?

In general, yes. Note that if there is substantial backlash (like with
an Acme
screw vs. ballscrew) then the Gecko drive may vibrate rapidly and overheat
itself or the motor.

>Also, can you create a closed-loop servo system by connecting the encoders to the parallel
>port on the computer, instead of the gecko driver? It seems to me that better
>compensation would be possible with this route. If so, are there advantages/disadvantages
>to either method?

Direct connection of encoder to parallel port? Not really practical,
for a couple
of reasons. One is that there are limited input pins on the parallel
port. Second
is that the computer would have to read the enocder signals at a very
high rate
to be sure not to miss any pulses.

I have a board that allows you to do this, by moving an entire motion
interface
out to hardware. The parallel port becomes a communication channel.
See my web page http://jelinux.pico-systems.com/motion.html and look
at the Universal stepper controller, and the Gecko Servo interface.
Together, these do what you describe. You also get digital inputs and
outputs, a Gecko power up/down controller, E-stop circuitry and Gecko
fault sensing.

photoshop4eva 2004-05-31 18:10:44 UTC Glass Scales G320 Jon Elson 2004-05-31 22:55:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Glass Scales G320