CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic path to NC milling (for this new guy)?

jimmyge2001 wrote:

>Since my ancient vertical mill is breaking down more often than I
>can tolerate, I may opt to trade it in. If so, I would like to
>ensure I make the right choices to eventually do some NC automation.
>Is there really any difference in the mill I choose (from a NC
>standpoint?

If you really plan to do a CNC conversion, take the easy route and
buy a used Bridgeport BOSS machine with a dead (or even missing)
control. You end up with MUCH better iron suited specifically for
CNC. The X and Y conversion of a manual machine is not such a big
deal. The Z axis conversion IS a big deal, because the standard manual
heads have no leadscrew! Using the rack and pinion is a TOTAL joke,
unless you only intend to drill holes. If you want real control of the
quill stroke, you need a screw drive, and the manual head doesn't make
this real easy. (I should know, I did it the "hard way".)

DRO scales generally have a resolution of .0005", which is pretty coarse
for precision motion control. And, using linear scales with Acme screws
is another thing that really doesn't work well, at all.

Don't think you know the cost until you've checked it out. Some people
have figured out how to do a BOSS 3-5 conversion for somewhere in
the neighborhood of $500, using the existing motors and power supply
components out of the BOSS.

jimmyge2001 2004-06-17 11:43:29 UTC Basic path to NC milling (for this new guy)? Leslie Watts 2004-06-17 12:29:46 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic path to NC milling (for this new guy)? Jon Elson 2004-06-17 18:29:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic path to NC milling (for this new guy)?