CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC question "Error: axis 0 following error"

cnc002@... wrote:

>In a message dated 6/19/2004 10:08:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>Reed_Irion@... writes:
>
>I am trying to run the EMC simulator in the RedHat BDI. When I get
>it all set up and going it moves a little and then I get "Error: axis
>0 following error"
>
>I have been all through the docs and I rtfm'ed but no luck.
>
>Anyone know what is up with this ?
>

>Generally, when you get a following error message it is referring to an
>error with the encoder on that axis. That is, of course, if you have a closed
>loop system and are not running just stepper motors. You tell the axis to move
>and, based upon the data entered in the machine parameters, it is expecting
>to see X number of counts from the encoder within a certain number of
>milliseconds based upon the speed at which you programmed it to run. If the
>controller doesn't see the correct number of counts within that time period you get
>a "Following Error" for that axis. Usually it is caused by a defective or
>damaged encoder, sometimes it can be a broken conductor within the cable
>connecting the encoder to the controller.

Since he is using the SIMULATOR, it doesn't have encoders, for sure.
It is just simulating machine motion in software. But, it still goes
through the servo calculations to think it is generating step pulses.
If the speed requested is too great, it can't think about those step
pulses fast enough to satisfy the desired rate, so it gets "behind"
the position it should be in. Increasing the "P" term in the axis
sections of the .ini file will generally help this.

reed_irion 2004-06-19 18:49:01 UTC EMC question "Error: axis 0 following error" cnc002@a... 2004-06-20 13:58:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC question "Error: axis 0 following error" Jon Elson 2004-06-20 20:59:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC question "Error: axis 0 following error"