CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Resolved (Somewhat) and more questions

Posted by Paul
on 2004-06-22 05:13:56 UTC
Hi Reed

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 6:27 am, reed_irion wrote:
> 1)  There is no PCMCIA stuff on the BDI CD, hence I have no ethernet, which
> makes me feel as if I am in the dark ages of computing.  Will installing
> (and running) card services goof up the EMC ?

When the original BDI was put together, much of the PCMCIA stuff was in it's
infancy - i.e. Kernel support was limited to a few cards, and loads of new
stuff was appearing rapidly. Laptops were (and still are) difficult to
support at the best of times due to non-standard hardware. The video drivers
often causing the worst problems.

> 3) Is there a way (like with an oscilloscope or something) that I can
> verify that the real time kernel is working properly ?

There are a few test programs in /usr/rtlinux-3.0/examples.

> 4) Is it possible to have a "conversational" session from another program ?
>  Like could I write some kind of thing in C++ and Qt and have it call
> portions of the EMC API to make my machine do stuff ?

For a discussion of this subject, I would strongly recommend subscribing to
the emc-developers list (subscribe at:
recent work includes an interface that accepts canonical commands instead of
G codes. There is also the ability to send commands via the built in
communications layer of EMC - This would allow you to run the conversational
program independently either on the same computer or on another box elsewhere
on a network. The details of how are probably not appropriate for this list..

Regards, Paul.

irc channel for EMC users at irc.freenode.org
/join #emc
and chat to other users (not many there yet).

Discussion Thread

reed_irion 2004-06-21 22:27:30 UTC EMC Resolved (Somewhat) and more questions Paul 2004-06-22 05:13:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Resolved (Somewhat) and more questions Jon Elson 2004-06-22 10:23:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Resolved (Somewhat) and more questions