CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper drivers, Compumotor 6200 indexer

on 2000-04-29 14:37:00 UTC
Murray, ST has a great assortment of IC's, and alot of motor
control chips. It has been my experience that unless all the
ducumentation that you will need is on the website, and you
will not need any adittional engineering help, then stay away
from ST. ST has been not willing to provide any help in my
situation, but if you are a multi thousand chip user, then
that situation may well be differant. The manuals and other
language info on your Compumotor indexer may be on thier
website, and if not, I may have some here in some older
catalogs.

Steve

----------
From: Murray Leshner <multi-volti@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper drivers, Compumotor 6200 indexer
Date: Saturday, April 29, 2000 1:52 PM

Hello:

1) On the topic of higher current stepper drivers, ST has a 'fully
protected' 14 A H-bridge IC (for bipolar operation), VN771P. It's not a
single-chip solution, and unfortunately for casual builders, it only comes
in 28 pin surface mount package. VN770P is the 9A version. You need two for
a 2-phase motor, and need the "front
end" circuitry as well. I'm looking into what parts will accomplish
microstepping chopper control along with this chip, when I have time. As
(one of the) Doug(s) implied, higher voltage drives give higher
speed/torque
characteristics, and these IC's unfortunately are rated only for up to 26 V
operation.

2) I bought a Compumotor 6200 2 axis indexer on eBay. It don't think it
falls into the groove with most of you using G-code with software as an
indexer, but if anyone does have a use for one, the guy has 7, and to my
knowledge sold 3 so far. Prices were approximately $335, 201, 223.

I just got manuals for it, and I can't believe how sophisticated it is,
compared to my plan to build a PIC or BASIC program. It has it's own
program
language/operating system, RS-232 interface, encoder interface, limit
switch
interface and 24 programmable inputs and 24 programmable outputs.

I think I will be able to test the RSF linear encoder I picked up by
writing a little program to display encoder count status, eliminating my
project of building a DRO just to test the encoder.

If anyone wants to keep an eye out for one, the seller on is Chris
Whiteside
(I think his user name is CJWhiteside).

Murray

http://click.egroups.com/1/3019/2/_/423600/_/957041517/