CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] IT WORKS !!! EMC ROCKS !!!!

on 2004-07-07 06:15:23 UTC
Just wait until you realize that Linux is much more than the best
platform to run EMC on. You will have power through out your home and
life.

By the way pictures are always nice. Those of us still trying to
score all that hardware would like the inspiration.

Dave

reed_irion wrote:

>I can't contain my enthusiasm. I rigged my Grizzly G1008 (8"x30")
>knee mill on the X and Y axis with 350 oz. in. PacSci step motors I
>found at the junk yard. I used some CMD-260 drives I got from Tim G.
>and a Dell laptop running EMC. I wrote a simple routine to do some
>diagonals and stuff and repeatability was +/- .002 over 10 cycles
>with no backlash compensation !! Feed rate of 10 ipm with no loss of
>accuracy. I havent tried an actual cut yet, but I did have the table
>loaded with a 90 lb. vise. EMC is Outstanding !!
>
>Funny how I got here. Milling machine begat buying equipment for
>automation, automation begat looking at EMC, EMC begat spiraling down
>into the bowels of linux, linux questions begat a C++ course at the
>community college, C++ course begat adventures with Qt... Then 1.5
>years later I asked myself "why am I doing all this linux stuff ?"
>Then I decided to take another crack at the automation. after
>getting my s^&* together with linux first EMC is so much more
>understandable !!
>
>My personal thanks to the EMC community for leading me on this
>journey. Now I have unimaginable power in the garage !!! Bu Ha Ha Ha
>Ha (evil cackle) :)

Discussion Thread

reed_irion 2004-07-06 19:40:53 UTC IT WORKS !!! EMC ROCKS !!!! Roy J. Tellason 2004-07-06 20:02:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] IT WORKS !!! EMC ROCKS !!!! David A. Frantz 2004-07-07 06:15:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] IT WORKS !!! EMC ROCKS !!!!